Friday, March 13, 2009

GOODBYE ACTORS STUDIO BANGSAR!

I remember my first time working in theatre back in 2006. It was with The Oral Stage when they staged Rojak! @ Pentas 2, KLPac, I was dissapointed I did not get a chance to visit the backstage area because I was doing publicity work outside. I told myself then, that from that day onwards, I would grab whatever opportunities I get to visit the backstage area of every theatre spaces in Kuala Lumpur. Indeed, by the time I graduated, I can officially say I've been to every backstage area of theatre spaces in Kuala Lumpur, KLPac, Istana Budaya and thankfully, The Actors Studio Bangsar (TAS) before it closed it's curtains for the last time.

Actors Studio Bangsar is quite unique and special from the other theatre spaces in KL. Well for one it has the only thrust stage in town but more importantly, it has a very intimate setting which is shared by the audiences and actors on stage. It's the ideal space for a lot of medium-scale performances. Ironically, it was with The Oral Stage that I got the chance to work in the theatre space as Deputy Stage Manager and Lightboard Operator for their 2008 production of "How I Learned To Drive". I remember setting my foot in the theatre during bump-in and the very first thing I did was, I ran up on stage and explored the entire backstage area. There was this sense of joy and fulfillment as I stepped into the control room and settled myself in there.

It was also at TAS that I operated a computerized lighting board for the first time. Boy it was an amazing experience eventhough I mess up a few lighting cues prior to the performance (chuckles). I know I won't see TAS again but I will forever cherish memories of that wonderful place and tell of great tales of spectacular and not-so-spectacular performances that once staged in The Actors Studio Bangsar. Cheers and I bid you farewell :p

No comments:

Post a Comment